Tuesday 28 January 2014

Shabby Chic Stool Restoration

I know I missed last Friday's Freebie but things have just been manic! To make up for it there will be 2 freebies this Friday so remember to check back and see what they are.

To be honest I almost missed todays blog post too but this shabby chic stool was such fun to do I really wanted to tell you about it!

 
In fact I was so excited to get started on the project that I almost forgot to take a 'before' shot, but this one will do as you can barely see where I've started to remove the paint . I found it at an auction covered in a sticky residue and about 20 layers of white gloss paint. It was in a sorry state but fundamentally still a sound piece of furniture.
  .
 
After I had washes the worst of the dirt off I set about removing the paint from the seat using a heat gun and scraper. If you are restoring an older piece of furniture make sure that you do this, or any sanding, in a well ventilated area and wear a mask as it is likely that some of the old pain layers contain lead.
 
 
Once you have scraped off the majority of the paint it's time to break out the sander. You've probably realised that my weapon of choice is usually the angle grinder with a sanding disc but please do practise this on scrap wood before you take on a lovely old piece like this stool.
 
 
It was only after some serious sanding that I realised that this stool was actually made from oak and not pine, as I'd first thought! I didn't want it to look too new so I stopped sanding while there were still some marks and dents to show its age.
 
 
Scuff up the legs a little to break up that old gloss look. Then give the seat a few coats of a soft wax. I like Annie Sloan's Soft Wax as it smells slightly nicer then Briwax but it is a bit more expensive. (I will be reviewing both in a future post so watch out for it)

 
 
I love the finished stool and think I might use it in my new 'corner office' when I eventually set it up.
 
We'd love to see your restoration projects and tutorials so why not drop us a line?

No comments:

Post a Comment